The AFL Player Spectator Current AFL Threat Level

Millionaires with a Year Ten Education

Friday, March 11, 2005

Footy Versus Wedding?

The media has been in a feeding-frenzy this week about professional AFL footballer Nick Stevens (Carlton), and his agonising choice about whether to ditch his brother's wedding - where he was to be bestman - or a football match. It's like Sophie's Choice, but for bogans.

Highlighting the principled ethics we've come to expect, he has opted to give his brother the finger and scoot off to play footy with his mates instead. No doubt his family planned the wedding in the off-season, but no: even the pretend "let's-cram-more-games-in-coz-we're-greedy" Wizard Cup season trumps his friggin' own brother's wedding.

While his family must recognise that he's a professional AFL footballer (and therefore prone to being a knob), it must still sting. I think his brother summed it up best himself. In Nick Stevens' own words:

"I told him I was going to play and he said to me straight out he was behind me whichever way I went and he wasn't going to change the way he feels about me," Stevens said.

"He said, `If you play footy, that's what you do'." (Herald Sun, 9/3/05)

Hey Nick - try reading between the lines! Your brother is trying to give you an important message here!

Sheesh, I guess that's why I don't (ahem) "earn" half a million dollars a year. But I have been bestman and enjoy good relations with my siblings.

Citations: Herald Sun, 9/3/05

Word Count: 236


Tags: footy

Labels:



Contribute         

5 Comments:

    <    >
  • Thanks for being frank with your feedback. I wouldn't want you holding anything back. :-)

    Can't really fault you on most points - I only know what I've been told (too lazy to do my own research) and, yes, I'm uneducated about footy players. While it's true that I feel the need to express my opinion, I do recognise it's worth shit.

    Also, I don't really know what pressure a footy club puts its players under. I'm guessing they want their million bucks worth though. AFL is business, after all.

    But I will correct you on a couple of points. I don't gossip for a living. This is purely a hobby. And I never said the average AFL player has the intellect of a year 10 student - they have the education of a year 10 student. It's different.

    The fact that you were googling for "nick stevens" when you hit this site (ranked 35!) says to me that you have a very strong interest in him. I don't. Never heard of him before and couldn't recognise him in a lineup.

    So I don't mean to degrade Mr. Stevens personally, I just think that AFL players - as a group - are put on a pedestal of which they're unworthy. For me, it's rebalancing, not degradation.

    By Blogger Greg, at 12:18 am, May 29, 2005  

  • <    >
  • Does anyone remember the difference between "your" and "you're" when posting messages on this site. I know it is being pedantic however.....
    ".....your opinion means shit cause your uneducated on the subject" would suggest an inability of the writer to express themselves and is grammatically challenged. The posting probably says more about the message poster than it is done about Greg.
    PLEASE, no more wrong use of the word "your".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 pm, March 21, 2007  

  • <    >
  • Wow - a grammar flame! Nice one.

    I too dispair at the state of literacy these days. I wonder if the kids writing this stuff are even aware that "you're" and "your" are two different words.

    Hell, plenty seem to use the text-speak "ur" as a way of covering their bets, like liberally sprinkling apostrophes everywhere (you know, just in case).

    If these soft, pliable minds can so readily soak up, recall and act out on bad messages about footballer misbehaviour, why can't basic grammar get through?

    By Blogger Greg, at 4:21 pm, March 21, 2007  

  • <    >
  • dispair or despair? does anyone really give a toss - or an afl tosser?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 pm, March 22, 2007  

  • <    >
  • Actually, it is "despair".

    *blush*

    That's the danger of the grammar flame: there's always typos, spelling mistakes and other gotchas lurking within.

    I'm pretty sure such concerns float effortlessly over the heads of AFL players. The quality gap between what they say in the media and the newspaper columns they "write" suggests they have some very good offline editors.

    By Blogger Greg, at 11:19 pm, March 22, 2007  

Post a Comment    Comments: 

<< Home

Current